In the process of cleaning the sprues in warm water of one of the arms came off. Rather than risk losing it I decided to dry fit one of the figures with the arms prior to giving him his PPsh SMG. One word sums this effort up, irritating.
I would have preferred to have attached the arms then painted the guts of the figure before adding the SMG. However the blasted thing doesn't want to fit. I tried several versions of the SMG and none seemed to work adequately despite a bit of shaving of the hard plastic.
I gave up in the end and returned to some basing. I will come back to the Russians once I have searched and looked at Intraweb guides as I am sure I am doing something wrong.